Book discussions:

If you're reading, PLEASE
make sure you join the facebook group so you can chat with us:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/170578896345072/

Chats are at 9pm EST the 1st Thursday of every month.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'm Over All That

Book:  I'm Over All That
Author:  Shirley MacLaine
Rating: 4     (1-5)

  I started reading Shirley MacLaine the summer after I graduated college in 2002.  I have now read 11 of Shirley's 12 books.  (Waiting to read 'Out on a Leash' when I am ready to be a dog owner.)
I love this woman.  As I like to say, Shirley MacLaine is my favorite person I've never met.
I loved the book, but it hasn't replaced my favorites of hers.  (Out on a Limb, It's All in the Playing and The Camino.)
If you're open-minded, you'll enjoy her point of view.  If you're curious, her insights make for great discussion and probing.
A lot of the book is her giving a quick opinion on certain subjects (rude people,  boring people, liberals and conservatives, vanity, fear based religions, her time with Sinatra, Jack Kennedy, etc.).  But the parts I liked best involved her talking about spirituality and how it ties into what is happening with the world today-- the speeding up of everything and human beings not tapping into the connection they share.
This was a quick read and I loved almost every minute.  Giving it 4 stars only because it still dosn't make my Top 3 Shirley MacLaine favs.

I'll leave you with one of the passages I enjoyed:
"We go about our lives, or work, our shopping, our raising of children, in half-trance.  We don't know what to do about the speed of life and information that we can't keep up with.  We don't even know we can't keep up.  We just feel it... We are half awake as to who we are, who we aren't, and even what our needs would be if they could be fulfilled."

No comments:

Post a Comment